A non-Biblical prophecy was made that the world will end December 21, 2012 or for a backup perhaps December 23, 2012.
There are ten pillars for this so-called prophecy of the end of the world on December 2012:
- The Mayan calendar in their study of astronomy predicted the end of the world on this date.
- NASA predicted huge solar storms with its effects could destroy the earth in 2012.
- There is the fear that the Large Hadron Collider (particle accelerator) near Geneva can destroy the earth.
- Geologists believe that super volcano explosions can happen in 2012 near the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory.
- The web bot project with “internet-web-spiders” determined 2012 as the destruction of the earth.
- Reversal of the north and south magnetic poles – the magnetic field around the earth is weakening and is a precursor to the ultraviolet rays of the sun to penetrate and destroy the earth.
- Astrophysicists predicting that the solar system will align itself with the Milky Way Galaxy during December 2012 and the earth being blocked from the life-giving power of the galaxy’s center may result in catastrophes in the world.
- Nostradamus predicted the world’s end in the 1500’s to be in 2012.
- Astronomers predicted that a planet X (second sun) will collide or pass close by the earth, causing destruction in 2012.
- Religious predictions of the destruction of the earth in 2012: Chinese book of changes; Koran; Hindu’s so-called “Day of Brahma;” Hopi religion’s “day of purification;” Lady of Emmitsburg (Roman Catholic prediction).
Scripture … declares that the end times will be characterized by great concern for world unity, world government, world economics, and world religion (see Revelation 13:1-18; Revelation 17:1–18:24). The world is looking for stability and security and is ripe for the unifying role of a world leader who can stop wars and bring an end to political, economic, and social chaos – the role that one day will be filled by the antichrist.
The purpose of Biblical prophecy is not to entertain the curious, but to encourage the consecrated.
“All of those signs that mark the end times are characteristic of our day. There can be no doubt that we live near the end of the age, and the concern of believers should be for what the Bible says rather than for what people say and for what God is doing rather than what people are doing.”—John MacArthur
Can we calculate the end of the earth?
- The Bible is clear that the Lord Jesus will come and the (old) earth will come to an end.
- Matthew 24:36-41 – the precise moment when the world will end cannot be calculated by anyone but God the Father.
- The Christians responsibility is to be ready – Matthew 24:42-44 – says that the Christian should be watchful.
- Matthew 24:45-51 – the coming of the Lord will be a test of all. Those who have Jesus as their Saviour will go to heaven, but those who don’t believe will go to hell.
- While there is time (who knows how long?) those who don’t believe in Jesus should come to Him in prayer and give their hearts to Jesus.
- Believers in Jesus Christ should be aware and not be caught by surprise and be faithful and alert.