When communicating, a Christian should be recognised by the way and what the Christian say. Can others identify you as a Christian in the way you communicate in everyday life with all people? What does a Christian say? How should a Christian communicate?
- What we say should be the truth: Proverbs 12:22 “The Lord detests lying lips, but he delights in men who are truthful.” Exodus 20:16 “You shall not give false testimony.”
- What we say and how we say it should carry the approval of God. Our communication should please God. Psalm 19:14 “May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be pleasing in your sight.”
- We have to speak life – literally life-giving. Proverbs 18:21 “The tongue has the power of life and death.”
- Our words are to be encouraging and building the other people up. 1 Thessalonians 5:11 “Encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.”
- What we say and in the manner we say it should be said in a gracious way. Ecclesiastes 10:12 “Words from a wise man’s mouth are gracious, but a fool is consumed by his own lips.”
- We have to have the wisdom and discernment to choose our words wisely when we speak. Proverbs 10:13 “Wisdom is found on the lips of the discerning, but a rod is for the back of him who lacks judgment.”
- It helps to think what we are going to say before we do. Therefor less words are more. Our words are to be few. Proverbs 10:19 “When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise.”
- Say what God tells you to say at the right time to the right people. Our words are to be timely. Proverbs 15:23 “A man finds joy in giving an apt reply – and how good is a timely word!”
- What we say should be like an investment that will bring dividend with it. Proverbs 12:4 “From the fruit of his lips a man is filled with good things as surely as the work of his hands rewards him.”
- What we say should speak of the deep-seated love we have for the people around us. 1 Corinthians 13:1 “If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.” (1 Corinthians 13:1)
When I look at these pointers to godly communication, I ask: “How is that possible to follow this?” Only by the power of God! Let us ask the Holy Spirit in prayer to teach us and help us to be godly in what we say at people and about them.