Interesting how you can see when a person worries. There are signals the worrier gives when he/she worries. How does that look like?
Worry steals your spiritual peace. God never intended for you to live fearfully focused on the future and be a hostage to an emotional heist. When people worry they experience some of the following physical and emotional symptoms that are robbing them of spiritual peace and even maturity. Matthew 13:22 “The one who received the seed that fell among the thorns is the man who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke it, making it unfruitful.”
People who worry act like a small animal in a snare, like Proverbs 29:25 says, “Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe.”
People who worry have emotional trouble:
- People who worry are fearful of what others think about them.
- They are overwhelmed with fear of the future.
- When they hear bad news, they are dismayed.
- When an unjust person succeeds they are fretful.
- They are anxious over unresolved relationships.
- They are terrified of death.
- They feel guilty reading verses like Matthew 6:25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear.”
Psalm 25:17 “The troubles of my heart have multiplied; free me from my anguish.”
People who worry have physical trouble, because our bodies react to worry:
- They have all kinds of sleeping problems.
- They are losing their appetite, and others overeat.
- They might experience headaches.
- Because of all the worries, they experience all kinds of stomach problems.
- They struggle to keep up their good health.
Ecclesiastes 2:23 “All his days his work is pain and grief; even at night his mind does not rest. This too is meaningless.”
Freedom is found not by fretting over the temporal, but by focusing on the eternal.