Dysfunctional families are common and every one of us knows at least one family who is dysfunctional. To recover from a dysfunctional family is a process that does not come easy and requires a transformational process into the most inner parts of the family.
A Dysfunctional Family:
- Is constituted of at least one of the parents whose behaviour is improper and immature. This behaviour holds family members’ growth of individuality and healthy relations back.
- Family members’ emotional, psychological, and spiritual lives are compromised.
- Everyone in the family is negatively affected when a single member of the family experiences difficulties.
“He who brings trouble on his family will inherit only wind, and the fool will be servant to the wise.” (Proverbs 11:29)
A Functional Family is a healthy family, who cultivates healthy relations:
- Both parents nurture with proper and mature behaviour a healthy equilibrium between relational and individual skills of family members.
- Healthy emotional, psychological and spiritual growth is cultivated among family members.
- When family members encounter problems, they cultivate the ability to face difficulty with confidence and the support of other family members.
“He who fears the Lord has a secure fortress, and for his children it will be a refuge.” (Proverbs 14:26)