There is always a price to be paid and a loss to be incurred by the recipient of abusive words and hurtful gestures. The cost is often unseen … an extensive, inner deprivation that can continue to damage the soul for a lifetime. “The tongue that brings healing is a tree of life, but a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit.” (Proverbs 15:4)
Results of Verbal and Emotional Abuse on the Victims:
- Loss of self-worth and that in turn increases self-doubt.
- Loss of self-confidence, which causes the victim to be overly self-conscious.
- Loss of self-perception causes the victim to criticise him/herself excessively.
- A loss of happiness increases emotional flatness.
- A loss of freedom and that in turn makes the victim to be hyper-vigilant.
- A compromise of inner peace that let the victim seeks peace-at-all-cost.
- The victim lost self-assurance, which increases the victim’s anxiety levels.
- Loss of security causes the victim to have an increased desire to escape in every way.
- The victim suffers to trust and therefore the first response to others is to distrust.
- The victim looses sexual identity and experience increased sexual confusion.
- Loss of a clear conscience, which increases guilt or shame.
- Loss of friendships, which results in isolation.
- Loss of faith and therefore experiences increased fear.
- The victim lost a sense of safety and continually experiences insecurity.
- Self-respect has been compromised and it results in an increased mode of self-destruction.
- Optimism has been lost and therefore the victim becomes more pessimistic.
- A loss of healthy pride and therefore the victim starts to hate him/herself.
- Loss of hope, which increases despair.
“Those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.” (Romans 8:29)