In order for Christians to walk in victory, we need to identify the lies we believe about ourselves and exchange them for the truth about who we really are in Christ. Consider the lies we tell ourselves followed by the truths from God’s Word. For lasting change to occur, we must cast aside the lies and constantly rely on the truth of Scripture. “Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.” (Romans 12:2)
The lie that many believe: “I can’t feel valuable unless I’m loved and accepted by my family and the significant people in my life.” However the truth is: I have God-given value because I have been placed into a new family where I am unconditionally loved and accepted by God.
- I am chosen by God. “He chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight.” (Ephesians 1:4)
- I am adopted by God. “In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will.” (Ephesians 1:4–5)
- I am a child of God. “To all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.” (John 1:12)
- I am born again. “You have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.” (1 Peter 1:23)
- I’ve been adopted into the family of God.“You did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, ‘Abba, Father.’ The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children.” (Romans 8:15–16)