Every husband should have a general knowledge of what his wife’s needs are. There are many needs that might differ from wife to wife, but most wives need the following from their husband:
- Affection: Give hugs, kisses and touches. Tell her how much you care for her. Give her cards, flowers and gifts. “Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her.” (Ephesians 5:25)
- Communication: Talk on the feeling level. Listen with concern and interest. Encourage and praise her positive character traits. “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.” (Ephesians 4:29)
- Honesty: Commit to total truthfulness. Share your true thoughts, feelings and desires. Discuss your plans and activities clearly. “An honest answer is like a kiss on the lips.” (Proverbs 24:26)
- Financial Security: Shoulder the financial responsibility. Consult her on how to best use finances. Prepare a budget together to plan for the future. “If anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.” (1 Timothy 5:8)
- Commitment: Make your wife and family your highest earthly priority. Schedule quality and quantity time alone with her. Verbalise your commitment to her often. “Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral.” (Hebrews 13:4)
- “Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.”(1 Peter 3:7)
Try making a list of ten specific things you feel would please your mate. A wife might show her husband respect by asking for his advice. A husband can encourage his wife by seeking her opinion about his friends or business activities. Each week try to practice one thing on your list.