I have more than 35 years experience in pre-marital, marital, and couples counselling. I am trained in several therapies. I am using Prepare and Enrich, elements of Imago Therapy, and I underwent an externship in Emotionally Focused Couples/Family Therapy.
Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT)
(Emotionally Focussed Couples Therapy) “EFT creates improvements in 90% of couples coming in for therapy” – Johnson; Hunsley; Greenberg & Schindler
EFT is one of the fastest growing models of couple therapy and marriage counseling available today. Research indicates and clients report that EFT can help:
- Diffuse conflict, reduce ongoing tensions.
- Feel closer and more connected to your partner.
- Develop healthier, more satisfying communication.
- Improve emotional, physical, and sexual intimacy.
- Resolve old problematic issues in your relationship.
EFT is being studied and practiced around the world and is recognized as an effective, evidenced-based couples and family therapy.
Ninety percent (90%) of couples who complete EFT improve their relationships.* The comparable rate of marital relationship improvement for the next leading model of couple therapy is only 35%. Studies indicate the results for EFT are generally robust and long-lasting. Also, EFT works with partners who describe themselves as “unemotional.”
Another significant finding is that couples who work through the EFT process resolve their issues without returning to their old unhealthy communication patterns in the future.
EFT is adaptable to a variety of complex situations, including helping couples heal after affairs, cope with difficult life stressors, such as chronic illness, and deal with trauma.
Unlike other couples therapy approaches, your initial level of relationship distress does not predict how well you will do in EFT. Research studies show that it is also effective with couples in which one or both partners struggle with depression, anxiety, low self-esteem, a traumatic childhood background, as well as sexual problems, such as low sexual desire.
It doesn’t matter how minor or major your problems are, EFT can help you resolve your difficulties – we can work together to help you and your partner handle life’s challenges and enjoy your opportunities together. Couples who take the experiences and tools developed in session and apply them outside of session increase their chances of success.
Couples in happy relationships tend to enjoy better general health and wellness. Researchers have found that marital satisfaction has been linked to better immune system functioning, recovery from illness and injuries, and management of stressful situations.
Breaking News: MRI Research led by Dr. Jim Coan and Dr. Sue Johnson priliminary results demonstrate that successful EFT for couples leads to positive changes in the female partner’s secure bond with their partner that is observable in the brain.
Emotionally focused therapy (EFT) was developed primarily by Dr. Sue Johnson. Originally developed for couples, EFT has found effectiveness between family members as well as romantic couples. As its name implies, emotionally focused therapy is based on emotions. It helps in treating depression, distressed relationships, and much more. It is currently used in private practices, hospital clinics, and training centers throughout the world. Dr. Susan Johnson, with other colleagues of EFT, founded The International Centre for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy (ICEEFT) in 1998.
Common Benefits of Couples Counseling:
- Increased respect and appreciation
- Revitalized sexual desire and satisfaction
- Greater understanding and closeness
- Create a process for healing and forgiveness after an affair
- Time together sharing interests and activities
- Increased ability to resolve conflicts
- Ability to maintain improvements in your relationship
- Physical health benefits have been reported in recent studies
Common Questions Couples Face When Distressed:
- Is our relationship worth saving or is it too late?
- Do you offer pre-marital counseling?
- How do we balance family and career?
- What about our sexual issues and lack of intimacy?
- Could we just get a “booster” shot for our relationship?
- Should I stay in an unsatisfying marriage for the sake of the children?
- Can I regain those old feelings of love for my partner?
- Can we find new feelings for each other?
- Will our marriage survive after an emotional or sexual affair?
- What do I need to know the second-time around?
- How do we blend our families?
- Can the compulsive behavior that hurts us both ever stop?
- Can couples counseling really help?
- Is there a well-researched way, and approach, to helping couples in distress?
Providing marriage and family therapy is our passion. Couples describe our style as warm, open and engaging. Our approach allows each of you the space to express your concerns while maintaining emotional safety. We work together to address real life issues, and we are open to feedback throughout the therapy process.
Each couple is unique. Some people need to go deeply into past hurts while others want to deal with more immediate problems. We will discover together the best approach to improve your relationships and life. We build on couple’s research, and the work of EFT. We then work together collaboratively based on your goals and situation.
(*Data based on published research studies, individual results cannot be guaranteed).